We strongly recommend packing lightly as you will need to move your luggage in and out of multiple hotels.
Be sure to check your expiration date – Israel requires passports to be valid for six month after your departure date
□ Bike Gear
Cycling clothing dries quickly, so you can wash your clothes in the hotel bathrooms, hang them up overnight, and reuse them
- Helmet – Mandatory! –Even if you are renting a bike you must bring your own helmet
- Cycling Gloves (one to two pairs)
- Bike Shoes
- Bike Shorts (two or three)
- Bike Jerseys (two or three) –FIDF will provide 1 jersey to each rider
- Bike Socks, synthetic/wool (two or three pair)
- Light biking jacket
- Arm warmers, leg warmers or tights –It could be cooler early in the morning
- Rain gear – 1 set of jacket and pant. Weather does not call for rain but better safe
- Sweatbands or under helmet head covering
- Water bottle or Camelback –There will be 2 water bottle cages on each bike and FIDF will provide 1 water bottle to each rider.
□ Additional Bike Gear (optional)
- 1-2 spare bike tubes –Our mechanics have spare inner tubes, but if you have your own, please bring them especially if you have smaller tires
- Bike tools and spare parts (optional item if you’d like to have extra)
- Rear derailleur adaptor
- Energy drinks/food –If you have a preferred drink or source of nutrition (bars, gel, salt tablets) please bring, FIDF will provide adequate water, energy drinks, and nutrition during the ride.
- Cycling computer and/or GPS unit
□ If you are using our rental bikes, please bring:
- Your saddle or gel saddle cover
- Pedals that match your shoes
- Seat pack or handlebar bag
□ Off-Bike Clothing
- Day pack – will be placed on bus w/ extra clothes and shoes for touring
- Nice (casual) clothes for Shabbat on the final evening
- Casual clothing for the evenings
- Long sleeve layers for the cool evenings
- Bathing suit
- Underwear and socks
- Sneakers, sturdy shoes, or hiking shoes
□ Toiletries (Below is a list of suggested items)
- All medications (pack in your carry on for traveling)
- Contact lenses/eyeglasses
- Toothbrush / Toothpaste/ floss
- Body Wash
- Shampoo / conditioner
- Shaving materials
- Hand sanitizer and/or sanitizing wipes
- Lip Balm
- Insect Repellent
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Aspirin / Advil
- Ear plugs
- Butt Balm / Anti-chafing cream (you can find it in bike stores)
- Travel towel/washcloth
□ Jewish Ritual Items (Optional should you be inspired to use them)
- Kippah / head covering
- Travel documents
- Insurance Information
- Alarm clock
- Medical Records – ie. special health information and medicine should be carried with you at all times and placed in a zip-lock bag (to keep dry) along with ID.
- Money / Credit Card – if you want additional services, drinks, laundry or other items that are not included during the trip it is recommended to have some cash available during the ride. Reminder, while the mechanics will provide service during the ride, any non-rental bike part that they will supply will be the riders responsibility.
TIP – While a nominal tip for the our ground crew is included, we kindly ask that everyone bring additional money for the bike staff and bus driver. They work extremely hard all hours of the day and night to make this trip top notch and we want to give them an extra something to say thank you!
Lost and Found
FIDF is not responsible for any lost or missing items during the trip, even if you hand them to the staff or crew personally. Do not bring anything valuable or irreplaceable. You have a better chance of being reunited with your belongings if they are marked with your name.
OTHER ITEMS TO NOTE:
The weather and temperatures will vary, please be prepared for all conditions, as the weather forecast can always change and it is better to have layers available for chillier mornings or (slight) possibility of rain. Please check the weather before you depart. Many riders wash their bicycle clothing at some point during the ride. The hotel sink is fine and your clothes will dry overnight. Laundry is also available at some hotels. The time spent in regular clothes in the evenings is minimal, so consider reusing some outfits. Evenings and Shabbat are casual, although layers are recommended because it does get cooler (50-60’s) at night. There will be a few opportunities to swim in pools and other water so don’t forget a bathing suit!
Day bags – Riders can place a “day bag” on the bus which acts as the sweep vehicle for the group. This bag is mostly accessible at lunch, but is a good place to keep extra emergency needs, and other items that you might want on the road. Riders can place extra clothes or shoes in their day bag for the touring portion of the day.
Laptops – If you wish to bring a laptop or tablet, it will need to be packed within your luggage. We have found that keeping your laptop well protected is safer than having it in a small bag in the truck or under our bus on the road all day. Please refer to our Helpful Hints Before You Go page for information about international plugs. WIFI is available mostly throughout the ride.
Phone Information – Bring your smart phone and use it wherever there is Wi-Fi (available in many places in Israel including along the route and at all accommodations). Use free phone calling/texting applications such as WHATSAPP, SKYPE, VIBER and many more. Or, work with your phone provider to determine if you can add an international plan.
- Rental Phone Opportunities:
- Rent a phone or sim card from Amigo: Please visit their website for more information: https://www.amigo-us.com/rates.cfm?cvID=315&country=Israel
- Rent a phone or sim card from Travelcell – Please visit website for more information: http://www.travelcell.com
Transporting your bike – If you are bringing your bike on the plane, it will need to be disassembled and stored in a special bike box. Most airlines allow bikes on board as your second piece of luggage and will add an over-sized luggage charge. Be sure to ask about this before you depart.
- During and After the Ride – After building your bike, the boxes will be safely stored until the end of the ride. You do not need to bring a bike lock with you. When you arrive at the final hotel your bike case will be ready for you to pack up your bike with assistance from our mechanics.