Friends of the Israel Defense Forces (FIDF) was established in 1981 by a group of Holocaust survivors to provide for the wellbeing of the men and women who serve in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) as well as the families of fallen soldiers. Headquartered in New York City, FIDF is a 501c3 not-for-profit corporation that operates 16 regional offices in the United States and Panama.
The strength of the IDF, which has been guarding the State of Israel since it declared independence in 1948, derives from the selfless determination and great capabilities of the young men and women who form it. At the tender age of 18, all Israelis are drafted into the IDF. Those who serve commit to uphold the difficult tasks of defending Israel’s borders and guaranteeing the safety of its people.
The Israeli government is responsible for training IDF soldiers and providing them with the necessary tools for their service. FIDF is committed to providing these soldiers with love, support, and care in an effort to ease the burden they carry on behalf of the Jewish community worldwide.
Their job is to look after Israel. Ours is to look after them.
FIDF initiates and helps support educational, social, cultural and recreational programs and facilities for the young men and women soldiers of Israel who defend the Jewish homeland. FIDF also supports the families of fallen soldiers.
How You Make a Difference:
- FIDF brought 77 Bar/Bat Mitzvah children to a trip to the U.S., presented Rosh Hashana gifts to 4,900 widows, and hosted about 700 widows at R&R centers in Israel and funded workshops for nearly 1,000 bereaved siblings
- Provided approximately 10,000 soldiers in-need provided with furniture and home appliances, as well as gift vouchers for food and clothing
- Granted over 3,300 IMPACT! scholarships for the 2011-12 academic year
- 12,000 combat and combat-support soldiers enjoyed SPIRIT weeks
- 3,000 soldiers enjoyed an educational journey throughout Israel
FIDF is proud to offer a variety of programs that enable our donors to contribute to a cause particularly close to their heart that meets the needs of IDF soldiers.
Financial and Policy Documents